If you want to secure the network of your Netgear wireless router, changing its default password is the first step. For those of you who are wondering how to do that, we are here to help you. In this post, we have mentioned the step-by-step guidelines that will help you change the Netgear router default password with ease. So, keep reading.
Methods to Change Netgear Router Default Password
Netgear router default password can be changed by accessing www.routerlogin.net setup wizard as well as using the Nighthawk app. By the time you are done reading this article, you are free to implement any of these methods.
Steps to Change Netgear Router Password Using Web GUI
For changing the default password of your Netgear wireless router via routerlogin.net, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Grab an Ethernet cable and create a connection between your Netgear router and the existing modem. You also have the choice of connecting your devices using a wireless source.
- Once a strong connection between your devices has been established, switch on your computer, and launch an internet browser on it.
- In the address bar of the internet browser, type the default web address of your Netgear wireless router.
- Press the Enter key.
- On the Netgear router login page, enter the default username and password.
- Click Log In.
- You will be taken to the Netgear Genie dashboard.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click Wireless Settings.
- Under the Password option, enter the new password you want your wireless device to have and click Apply.
- Wait for some time and let the changes that you have made become effective.
By following these instructions, you’ll be able to change the Netgear router default password by accessing routerlogin.net.
Steps to Change Router Password Using Nighthawk App
If you want to change the password of your Netgear router using your mobile device, then consider opting for the Nighthawk app. Here are the steps that will help you change the Netgear router default password using the Nighthawk app:
Note: For your information, the Netgear Nighthawk app operates on both Apple as well as Android devices.
- Unlock your mobile device.
- Go to the Google Play Store or App Store as per the device that you are using.
- Search for the Netgear Nighthawk app.
- Once found, tap Download and wait for the application to get installed.
- Open the Nighthawk app and create a Netgear account using your full name, email address, and password.
- Next, log in to your Netgear wireless router using the default login credentials.
- Tap Log In.
- Head towards the Wireless Settings option.
- A list will appear displaying available WiFi networks.
- Select the one of which you want to change the default password.
- Set a new password and tap Save.
- In some time, your changes will become effective.
This is how you can change the Netgear router default password using the Nighthawk app.
Although changing the default password of the Netgear router is not that difficult, just in case you get stuck at any step, consider following the Netgear router troubleshooting tips mentioned below.
Can’t Change Netgear Router Default Password?
- Make sure that your computer and mobile phone have access to a strong internet connection.
- If you are using an Ethernet cable to connect your router and the existing modem, ensure that it is not damaged from anywhere.
- Check whether your router is receiving enough power supply from the wall socket. If it isn’t, then consider plugging it into a different wall outlet.
Hopefully, these tips will help you troubleshoot whatever issues you were facing while changing the default password of your device.
This was all about how you can change the default password of your Netgear wireless router via routerlogin.net and Nighthawk app. Once you are done changing the default password of your device, no hacker or unauthorized user will be able to access your home wireless network without your consent.