Nowadays, it’s become very important to secure the WiFi network of your Netgear Nighthawk router. Wondering how to secure the Nighthawk router WiFi network? Not anymore! Securing the router’s WiFi network isn’t that difficult. All you need to do is, go through our post once. Here, we’ve listed some important points that can help you secure your router’s WiFi network with great ease. Let’s get started!
How to Secure Nighthawk Router’s WiFi?
Change the Default Router Password
Your Netgear device comes embedded with default Nighthawk router login password. If you don’t change the default router login details immediately after the configuration of your device, anyone can access it. Yes, you read it right! There are plenty of websites on the internet that provide a list of default router passwords.
Thus, it is suggested – access the routerlogin.net setup page and change the default password of your Nighthawk device right away. Apart for this, it is also advised – create a strong yet easy to remember password for your Nighthawk router.
Change the Default SSID
SSID or WiFi network name of your Netgear Nighthawk device is visible to the eye of anyone who’s within the range of your router. Therefore, it is recommended that you hide the SSID/ disable the SSID of your Netgear Nighthawk router. Go through the steps highlighted below and know how to change the WiFi network name of your Nighthawk router:
- First thing first, power up the Netgear Nighthawk router.
- Once you’re done, connect it to your modem using an Ethernet cable. Ensure to use a well-maintained cable. You can also connect your devices in a wireless manner.
- Wait till the LEDs on your router and modem become stable. It might take a couple of minutes.
- Open a web browser on your PC or laptop and access the routerlogin page using 192.168.1.1 IP. You can also access the login page of your Nighthawk device using routerlogin.net web address. Be certain that the web browser you are making use of is up-to-date and all the junk files and browsing history are clear from it.
- Enter the username and password of your Netgear Nighthawk router into the required fields carefully without making any typing errors and hit the Enter key.
- Netgear router’s BASIC Home screen page will display.
- Locate and click Settings and then select the Wireless Settings option under the BASIC tab.
- Uncheck the Enable SSID Broadcast option.
- Click Apply to make changes effective.
As soon as you click the Apply button, the SSID of your Netgear Nighthawk router will get hidden. Fab! You have successfully secured the WiFi network of your Nighthawk device by changing its password and hiding its SSID.
Set Up a Guest Network
This is one of the most important yet effective points that can help you make your Netgear Nighthawk router secure from intruders. The guest access network feature restricts unknown users from accessing your router’s WiFi network. Soon after creating the guest network account, you wouldn’t have to share your router’s primary login password with everyone.
Perform Router Firmware Update
Updating the firmware of your Netgear Nighthawk router is another effective way through which you can secure the WiFi network of your device. To update the firmware of your device, you simply need to perform Nighthawk router login, locate and click the Firmware Update button, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Not only updating the firmware of your router will secure it from intruders but also provide your device new added features and enhanced security.
To Wrap Up
So, this was all about our post to secure the Netgear Nighthawk router WiFi network from potential threats. Here’s to hope that through our article, you’ll be able to secure the router’s wireless network. Please feel free to share your feedback with us. Just in case you’re still facing issues while securing your device, then don’t hesitate to drop your queries into the comments section.