After graduation, an international student in Australia can apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa 485, which allows them to stay further in the country, continue with further studies, and gain crucial work experience. The unrestricted study and work rights they get can be highly beneficial for applicants who want to apply for an Australian PR (permanent residency) visa in the near future.
The work experience with the 485 Visa in Australia can also act as a pivotal aspect to qualify for a skilled visa. This blog discusses all the important factors that you should be aware of to make a successful application.
Five essential steps to make your application successful
With the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485, you can stay in Australia for 18 months to 4 years, depending on your academic qualification and the stream you are applying for. Here we discuss the top five steps to help you avoid common application issues that applicants usually make.
Step 1: Choose the correct Graduate Visa stream
The two streams under this visa are Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream, and you have to choose the one that is suitable for you. The Graduate Work Stream allows an applicant to stay for 18 months. On the other hand, Post-Study Work Stream lets students live for 2 to 4 years, depending on the qualification.
- Apart from the general 485 Visa eligibility criteria, you must satisfy stream-specific eligibility requirements and submit documents accordingly. Otherwise, your visa application may get refused by the Department of Home Affairs. What you need to qualify for these two streams is discussed here.
- For the Graduate Work Stream, the requirements are as follows.
- You must have skills in an occupation present on the MLTSSL or Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List.
- For the nominated occupation, you should get a positive skills’ assessment. The relevant authority should conduct this assessment.
- Within 6 months of submitting your application for the Visa Subclass 485, you must satisfy the Australian Study Requirement.
- Having a Diploma or Trade Qualification will make you eligible for the application.
For the Post-Study Work Stream, you have to meet the following requirements.
- Having a Bachelor’s, Masters or Doctorate is a must.
- You should have applied for and got your first Australian student visa 500 on or after 5 November 2011.
- The eligible course should be awarded by an Australian institute that is registered with the CRICOS.
- The Australian Study Requirement should be met within 6 months of lodging the application.
This stream appears to be more beneficial as it allows a student to stay longer and requires no skills assessment.
Step 2: Make The Application Within Time
Several important dates are involved in the Graduate Visa 485 application, related to both grant criteria and valid application lodgement. If you cannot meet these deadlines, your application will be considered invalid.
- For a valid application lodgement, you have to apply before your student visa expires. Failing to do so will make your application invalid. This situation may give rise to serious complications later, and by that stage, you may no longer qualify to make a re-application.
- For both the streams, you must make your application within 6 months of your course completion. Here course completion refers to the date of publication of final results. Some students make a mistake by assuming that this completion date refers to the date of graduation.
- You must be fully aware of these dates for a successful application.
Step 3: Provide All The Relevant Documents At The Time Of Submitting The Application
You must note that you have to submit some documents at the date of lodgement to be eligible to receive the visa. These requirements are known as ‘time of application’ visa grant requirements, opposite to ‘time of decision’ requirements. These documents cannot be uploaded at a later date. Take a look at the 485 Graduate Visa checklist for a clear idea about these crucial requirements.
- You have to satisfy the English language requirements. If you are from a native English-speaking country, your passport will be enough to prove that. If you’re not, you have to show English test results.
- You and all the family members included in the application over 16 have to apply for the check by Australian Federal Police (AFP) within one year of lodging the Graduate Visa application. The AFP receipt number and the request for the AFP check are the documents that should be attached to the application.
- All visa applicants should have valid health insurance cover in Australia.
- A positive skills assessment document will be mandatory if you are applying for the Graduate Work Stream.
Submitting all the documents when applying will lower the chances of a visa refusal.
Step 4: Confirm that you satisfy the Australian Study Requirement
For the application of both streams, you have to meet the Australian study requirement. First of all, you must have successfully obtained a degree or a diploma, and the course should meet the following criteria.
- The course should have been completed in a minimum of 2 academic years. It should be registered with the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).
- The course should have been delivered over at least 16 months, and you should have been physically present in Australia.
- The language was English.
- You should have held a valid Australian student visa.
You may feel confused about the ‘2 academic years’ requirement. As per rule, the duration of the course should cover at least 92 weeks.
Each term is precisely defined, and that is why we recommend that before applying for the 485 Graduate Visa, you must make sure that you satisfy all the requirements.
However, suppose you have finished more than one study course or receive credits for course units completed previously. In that case, you should see how these provisions suit your circumstances so that you can make a successful application.
Step 5: Confirm information about eligible family members whom you can include in the application.
Specific family members can be included as dependents in your Subclass 485 Visa application for Australia. Before having them in the application, it will be vital for you to confirm this information. The members whom you can add to your application include:
- Your de-facto partner or spouse
- Your child or step-child
- Child or step-child of your partner or spouse
How much time does the visa application take to process?
The 485 Visa processing time varies according to the number of applications lodged at a specific time and the stream. For the Graduate Work Stream, it takes about 8 to 11 months. On the other hand, Post-Study Work Stream applications take about 6 to 7 months.
Delays in the application procedure can occur if you miss any important document while applying. For essential guidance regarding the application, you may think of consulting a professional migration agent from Adelaide.
How Can An Agent Help You?
If you choose an experienced and qualified migration agent Adelaide, they can guide you through the process and send you updates about the application process. Having such a reputed professional will ensure the best visa application outcome for you.